3 Drink Recipes to Try This Cinco de Mayo!
It 's Cinco de Mayo! Today is about celebrating Mexican culture and heritage. Here are some drink recipes you can try to show your appreciation for Mexican culture!
For the ones who love the classics:
The classic margarita is one of the most popular cocktails of all time, invented in the 1930's in Mexico. The classic definition includes three ingredients: tequila, lime and Triple Sec.
Try to opt for a blanco tequila made from 100% blue agave. And although many people reach for a pre-made sour mix, ditch the plastic containers and use fresh lime juice instead! It will result in a vastly superior drink.
- 2 ounces tequila
- ½ ounce orange liqueur
- 1 ounce lime juice freshly squeezed
- ½ ounce agave syrup
- lime wedge (to garnish)
- salt (to garnish)
(tip, you can use the lines on your Pirani tumbler for measurements!)
- Add tequila, orange liqueur, lime juice and agave syrup to a cocktail shaker or your Pirani Tumbler filled with ice, and shake until well-chilled.
- Pour into a salted rim tumbler with fresh ice.
- Garnish with a lime wedge.
If you would rather add a bit of spice to your day, check out our Spicy Margarita recipe here!
For the ones who need to kickstart the day:
Mexican coffee is the perfect combination of strong, freshly roasted coffee, sugar, and cinnamon. The cinnamon and sugar aren't merely added to the coffee after brewing, but they're incorporated right into the brewing technique.
Read below for a traditional Mexican coffee recipe, known as café de olla, that's the perfect mix of sweet with a little kick!
- 4 cups of water
- ⅓ Piloncillo/Panela or dark brown sugar
- ½ a stick of Mexican Cinnamon
- 4 Tablespoons of ground coffee. Try to find Mexican Coffee, this one is certified Organic and Fair Trade!
- In a Medium saucepan, place the water, cinnamon, and Piloncillo (or dark brown sugar). Turn heat and simmer until the piloncillo is dissolved. About 7 minutes.
- When the water starts boiling, add the coffee, turn the heat off and stir.
- Cover the pot and let it steep for 5 minutes. Pour through a strainer and serve in your Pirani Tumbler for up to 6+ hours of hot coffee!
For the ones who want a refreshing pick me up:
Hibiscus tea, or “Agua de Jamaica”, is one of the most popular beverages that you will find in Mexico. It is made with dried hibiscus petals and can be served either hot or chilled.
It is almost always served chilled (what better way to keep it chilled than in your Pirani Party Insulated Tumbler,) and is most commonly served with lunch or dinner and is a great complement to some great Mexican dishes, like Pork Carnitas Tacos, Tacos Al Pastor, or Shrimp Ceviche!
- 1 cup of dried hibiscus petals
- 2 cups of water to boil with the hibiscus petals
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 4 cups of cool water
- Add the dried hibiscus petals to a small pot on the stove with two cups of water, and bring to a boil.
- Lower heat to medium-low and let simmer for about 15 minutes.
- In a separate pitcher, combine 4 cups of cool water with the sugar. Mix until the sugar dissolves.
- Remove the hibiscus and water from the heat, and let cool for approximately 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, strain the liquid from the hibiscus petals and add the strained liquid to the pitcher with the sugar and water.
- Pour into a Pirani Tumbler with ice and enjoy!
We hope you try one of these (or all three!) authentic recipes this Cinco de Mayo! And if you are having a celebration, consider going Plastic Free with our Pirani Party Tumblers! They have the same look and feel as the iconic solo cup, but keep your drinks cold or hot for hours!
Buy a Pirani Life Party Pack!
This is what we’re made for! #PartySustainably with Pirani Life. You can bring your own reusable tumbler so you know you’re taken care of on the cup front or buy Pirani party tumblers in bulk to share with all your friends. We offer party packs of four, eight, and 12 16-oz. sustainable party cups. These are just some of the few small ways we can begin to reimagine enjoying ourselves and taking care of the environment.
Pirani Life is dedicated to reducing, reusing, and reimagining how we can live more sustainably. Help us take better care of our beaches, lakes, and more, by shopping with us today. We offer a variety of options, whether you’re an individual who wants a single tumbler or a large business trying to reduce your footprint the right way. Shop Pirani Life party tumblers here or feel free to contact us directly with any questions.
Leave a comment